If you’re looking for information about the Australian resume format, then in this article you’ll learn what to do before sending it to an employer. You’ll find out which items of your resume are most likely to draw the attention of a company’s recruiters and what they should pay the most attention to when they are scanning through your resume.
Why Use an Australian Resume?
There are a few good reasons to use an Australian resume format. First, it will be more likely to be accepted by Australian employers. Not only does a British or American resume may not be as well-received in Australia due to cultural differences, but an Australian resume will also be more likely to stand out because of the large number of Australians working and living overseas. Additionally, many organisations in Australia use English as their primary language, so an Australian resume form will be less likely to cause translation issues. Finally, some employers in Australia prefer resumes that are tailored specifically for the local market.
Differences Between American and Australian Resume Formats
If you’re thinking about moving to Australia, the first thing you’ll want to do is get a resume that looks good in both American and Australian resume formats. Let’s take a look at the main differences between these two types of resumes.
First, let’s take a look at the American resume format. This is the most common format in the United States, and it looks like this:
- Professional Experience (List each position, months/ years held, duties performed)
- Education (List highest level completed, schools attended)
- Skills (List any professional or volunteer experience, certificates or licenses held)
- Objectives (Give your goals for the next 5 years)
- Resume Availability (Are you willing to supply a PDF of your resume if I request it?)
Now let’s take a look at the Australian resume format. This format is used in Australia and many other countries around the world. It looks like this:
- Work Experience (List each position with start/ end dates)
- Education (List highest level attained, schools attended)
- Skills (List any professional or volunteer experience, certificates or licenses obtained)
- Objectives (Give your goals for the next 5 years)
- Summary of Achievements ( Summary of your achievements and qualifications)
How to Make Your Resume Stand Out!
The best way to make sure that your resume stands out and gets read is to make sure it is tailored to the specific employer you are applying to. The following are tips for formatting your resume that will help you achieve this:
- Use a consistent font size and style throughout your resume. This will make it easier for the interviewer to read.
- Use active verbs to describe your accomplishments. For example, instead of saying that you “managed” a project, use phrases like “ drove successful completion of the project” or “ led the team to exceed targets.”
- Limit the number of pictures on your resume. Photos can be distracting and may not be used in the decision-making process. Try to stick to contact information only.
- Make sure the content of your resume is relevant to the position you are applying for. For example, if you are applying for a marketing position, include topics such as marketing campaigns you have participated in or work experience in a marketing role.
Types of Jobs to Target?
There is no easy answer when it comes to what type of jobs to target when you are looking for a new career. However, there are some general guidelines that can help. For example, if you have previous experience working in a particular field or sector, this may be a good indication that a specific type of job is available in that field.
Additionally, if you are passionate about a certain topic or concept and have some expertise in that area. You may want to consider targeting positions that involve working with or around that topic or concept. The important thing is to figure out what you are interested in and then look for opportunities that fall within those interests.
Tips on Formatting an Electronic Resume
If you’re looking to get a new job in Australia, your resume is going to be one of the most important things you send out. In this post, we’ll outline some tips on formatting and electronic resumes. So that you can make the best impression possible.
When preparing your resume, it’s important to pay attention to three main areas: layout, content, and style.
Layout: Your resume should be formatted in a standalone document or on a web page. If you email your resume, make sure to include the headers and footers that are required by email programs. You should also include your contact information at the top of the PDF or Word document.
Content: The fonts you use should be legible and professional. You can either use Arial, sans-serif, or font faces that are similar to those used in official government documentation (like Arial or Times New Roman). Avoid using Comic Sans fonts or fonts with bizarre letterforms like Lowercase “I”, or Uppercase “O”.
Style: Your resume should be easy to read – don’t use too many bulleted points or too many photos. When highlighting key points in your experience, try to use short sentences.
RiverRunResume Can Assist You Create a Customized Resume
If you’re like most job seekers, you’re probably wondering what the best resume format is for your specific career. You might be tempted to follow the lead of many online resources and create a standard resume that looks like everyone else’s. But if you want to stand out from the crowd, you should consider using a customized resume format.
A customized resume can help you stand out not only by making your resume look more unique but by also capturing the skills and experiences that are unique to your career. If you’re not sure how to create a customized resume, consider seeking help from a professional like RiverRunResume. We can help you develop a custom resume that showcases your skills and accomplishments in the most effective way possible.
Whether you’re looking to move to Australia or are already there and want to change your career, a well-crafted resume is essential. In this article, we outlined the key points you need to consider when creating and submitting your resume so that you can make the most of your chance of landing an interview.